The Magnetic Structure Determination Workshop 2012 concluded on September 20. The aim of this workshop was to enhance the community studying magnetism in materials by learning from experts the essential theoretical foundations to magnetic representation analysis and work through real examples to gain experience in solving and refining magnetic structures from neutron powder and single crystal diffraction data.
- Juan Rodríguez-Carvajal (ILL, Grenoble)
- Andrew Wills (University College London)
- William Ratcliff (NCNR)
The workshop sessions were held in the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Visitor's Center, Building 5200, Room 202.
Lectures and tutorial sessions covered:
- Symmetry analysis using representation theory and the SARAh program.
- Refinement strategies using the Fullprof Suite.
- Magnetic structure determination from powder (constant wavelength and time-of-flight data) and single crystal data (constant wavelength).
- Simulated annealing approach for structure solution.
This workshop was supported by the Neutron Sciences Directorate Quantum Condensed Matter Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.